[Openstack] noVNC and EPEL

Jose Castro Leon jose.castro.leon at cern.ch
Fri Jun 15 09:27:08 UTC 2012

Hi,
The nova-novncproxy reads some parameters in /etc/nova/nova.conf file.  First you need to configure your cloud controller to enable vnc

novncproxy_host = 0.0.0.0
novncproxy_port = 6080

and in the nova compute nodes you need something like this

novncproxy_base_url=http://NOVNCPROXY_FQDN:6080/vnc_auto.html
vnc_enabled=true
vncserver_listen=COMPUTE_FQDN

After restarting nova services on both nodes the newly created machines will run the qemu-kvm with a parameter -vnc compute_fqdn:display_number.
We had previously launched machines that have localhost:DISPLAYNUMBER and when you try to connect from another machine to dashboard it will fail while trying to open localhost:590x on your local machine.

Then after starting the novncproxy and connecting to the dashboard it will discover the host and point to the novncproxy with the appropriate values and connect to the vm.
Make sure than the iptables entries for VNC ports (5900+DISPLAYNUMBER) are allowed.

We have this setup working here at CERN since Adam Young provided the first source rpms :)

If you have any other question, feel free to ask me,

Kind regards,

Jose Castro Leon
CERN IT-OIS-IN             	tel: +41.22.76.74272
                                      	fax: +41.22.76.67955
Office: 31-R-021         	CH-1211 Geneve 23