[Openstack] instances loosing IP address while running, due to No DHCPOFFER

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 23:02:40 UTC 2012

Hey,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately there was no process restart in
nova-network nor in dnsmasq,
both processes seem to have been up for about 2 and 3 days.

However, why is the default dhcp_lease_time value equal 120s? Not having
this one overridden
causes the clients to actually re-acquire a new DHCP lease every 42 seconds
(at least on my nodes),
which is completely ridiculous.
OTOH, I took a look at the sources (linux_net.py) and found out, why the
max_lease_time is
set to 2048, because that is the size of my network.
So why is the max lease time the size of my network?
I've written a tiny patch to allow overriding this value in nova.conf, and
will submit it to launchpad
soon - and hope it'll be accepted and then also applied to essex, since
this is a very straight forward
few-liner helpful thing.

Nevertheless, that does not clarify on why now I had 2 (well, 3 actually)
instances getting
no DHCP replies/offers after some hours/days anymore.

The one host that caused issues today (a few hours ago), I fixed it by hard
rebooting the instance,
however, just about 40 minutes later, it again forgot its IP, so one might
say, that it
maybe did not get any reply from the dhcp server (dnsmasq) almost right
after it got
a lease on instance boot.

So long,
Christian.