[Openstack] The right way to deprecate things in nova?

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 21:53:05 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

My take is why keep a 200-300 line set of functions and tests (a small framework) to log messages about code we want to get rid of? As of today we aren't even making use of it and I'm not convinced peppering more decorators all over the place is the best idea. I suppose I have a slight preference for simply logging things here.

>   * add the fatal config option, and associated unit tests to make
>   sure
> it works correctly. This would be helpful for people to ensure they
> weren't depending on deprecated functions towards the end of a
> release.

I'm not apposed to this but it seems like grepping log files is also a fine tool. Presumably this would be off by default.

Why not just log it as a simple WARNING and be done with it: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/8411/