[Openstack] Configuring Openstack (Essex) to use existing Dynamic DNS servers

Lillie Ross-CDSR11 Ross.Lillie at motorolasolutions.com
Tue Jun 12 16:31:20 UTC 2012

All,

I'm finally starting the upgrade to our internal cloud to the Essex release that's part of Ubuntu 12.04LTS.  I'd like to setup the cloud to register instance names with our existing internal DNS servers.  While there's some mention of this searching the Web, I haven't stumbled across anything definitive.

My guess is that I need to replace the default dnsmasq server with an alternate backend such as nsupdate, however I'm unsure how the overall DHCP/DNS plumbing is configured.  Are there any pointers and/or design documents that I could be pointed towards to give me a better understanding to help me implement this functionality?

Also, I see that there appears to be a nova-compute extension in the current development branch that appears to provide this functionality if I've read things correctly.  However I'd rather rely upon released packages for our essex deployment, rather than pulling in code from the development trunk.

Anyways, any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and regards,
Ross