[Openstack] [keystone] v3 API draft (update and questions to the community)

Mark Nottingham mnot at mnot.net
Tue Jun 12 10:11:14 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012, at 6:24 PM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Apparently you must have missed my lightning talk at the Essex summit... ;-) (http://gabrielhurley.github.com/slides/openstack/apis_like_orms/index.html)

Until I clone myself, I think that's going to happen pretty regularly; missing interesting sessions at the summit seems to happen too much :(

> Filtering, pagination, and many other API features are *critical* for a rich dashboard experience. If you want to talk specifics, the entire Horizon team would be happy to have a long chat with you.

Love to. Like I said, I'm still doing my research.

> That said, we have also considered the case you propose where you effectively "request everything and handle it on the client-side"... however, I see that as a tremendously lazy solution.

That's not the word I'd choose, but OK. What's concerning me here is that if someone has a new requirement for how the data is presented in Horizon (or any other control panel / app taking this approach), it's going to need to be reflected in the APIs, which is going to make them balloon out pretty quickly.

It'd be interesting to get a sense of how other API consumers are planning to use these features (or not); like I said, I didn't see it in the log data.

> On the service-provider end you have access to powerful database methods that can do these operations in fractions of the time the client-side can (especially with good indexes, etc.).

Oh, I don't know. CPU on the server side is often scarce, especially as you pile on features. Lots of clients means lots of power on the client side, in aggregate, and it also puts the responsibility for scaling expensive things in the hands of the party who's asking for them.

> And if you've ever worked in mobile applications you'll know that minimizing data across the wire is crucial.

Absolutely. But, I'd question if these features are actually going to help. Many mobile clients are going to want to show all of a user's VMs in a list, for example, and paginating them won't help unless the sort order is *exactly* aligned with how the client wants to present them (and from what I saw, the proposed API didn't offer sorting at all).

> The only argument I've heard in favor of that is basically "it's easier for us not to add API features".

Well, I'd put it slightly differently. The question is how much "footprint" our API should have; if we try to make everybody happy, it'll be absolutely huge, and have corresponding issues -- everything from security to documentation to server-side load, and so forth.

However, this being HTTP, somebody can (and will!) slap an intermediary or client library in front of it to do interesting things, even if we don't provide them "out of the box."

So I think the question really is where we, as a community, want to concentrate our efforts.

> To speak on the specific feature of pagination, the problem of 'corruption' by simultaneous writers is no excuse for not implementing it. You think Google, Facebook, Flickr, etc. etc. etc. don't have this problem? If you consume their feeds you'll notice you can fetch offset-based pagination with ease. You'd never expect to see a navigation element at the bottom of Google search results that said "take me to results starting with the letter m".

Strangely, I have; I wrote an RFC about it.

> None of this is a case of "someone might use it". The Horizon team has been loudly asking for these features for 8+ months now.

OK, that's good to know -- I didn't know that, but now I do. Look forward to discussing it more.