[Openstack] OpenVSwitch Agent

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue Jun 12 06:30:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Neelakantam Gaddam
<neelugaddam at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In the openstack architecture, what are the exact reasons for running the
> OpenvSwitch agent on all the compute nodes.
>
> Is it for portability reasons?
>
> Can we avoid the implementation of agent in the openstack architecture?

Hi Neelakntam,

Several openstack services have "agents" or "workers" that perform local
configuration on a particular device as needed.  For example, in the case
of nova + libvirt, nova-compute creates disk files, and communicates with
libvirt, and nova-network communicates with the linux networking stack to
configure iptables + spawn instances of dnsmasq.  The OVS plugin has an
agent/worker that runs on each compute host as well, to make changes to the
vswitch when a VM is provisioned, or when a Quantum port's settings are
changed via the Quantum API.

Dan

> Thanks in advance.
>

> --