[Openstack] [Netstack] question on get_network_details api call

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 21:19:16 UTC 2012

On 06/02/2012 01:56 PM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
> Hi Irena, Bob, Salvatore,
>
> Just catching up the thread, and looping the netstack and openstack
> lists in as well, as this info is general useful in my opinion.
>
> Our model with Quantum, like Nova, is that it is definitely ok to extend
> the content of a core object with additional attributes.  These
> attributes should be formatted properly as extended attribute, so that
> the "key" of the attribute is <extension-alias>:<attribute-name>
>
> This is done pretty commonly within Nova.  Two simple examples are:
> - nova/api/openstack/compute/contrib/scheduler_hints.py
> - nova/api/openstack/compute/contrib/extended_status.py
>
> I do not believe you need to (or should) modify the view-builder code
> for the core object when you want to add an extended attribute to it.

Thanks Dan! I've now had some success implementing an extension that
creates a RequestExtension that adds extended attributes to the response
for a core resource. At least with JSON - I have not been able to figure
out how to do this for XML, if that is even possible in quantum.

>  Instead, the extension framework has you write a wsgi controller
> specific to the extension that is inserted as its own stage into the
> wsgi request and response processing pipeline.  Thus, when the request
> is passed in, your code gets a chance to parse the data, and the the
> response is passed back, your code gets a chance to add data to it.

The above description sounds more like a ResourceExtension than a
RequestExtension. A ResourceExtension introduces a new Controller,
whereas a RequestExtension just adds a handler function called by the
core's RequestExtensionController. All examples and descriptions I've
seen use ResourceExtension to introduce a new type of resource. Are you
suggesting this mechanism can also be used to extend an existing core
resource? Would this have any advantage over using a RequestExtension? I
still don't see any way a ResourceExtension could add extended
attributes into an XML response.

> Using the Nova code as example is probably the best bet if you can find
> a good example within quantum.  Quantum's extension framework (and
> several other openstack projects) all use essentially the same model.

The nova and quantum code seem to have diverged significantly. The nova
examples use a nova.api.openstack.wsgi.extends decorator on methods of
an extension-implemented Controller to do "request extensions", but
quantum doesn't have this decorator. Also, nova uses XML templates that
are extensible, whereas the _serialization_metadata in quantum core
resources does not seem to be extensible.

At this point, quantum's RequestExtension mechanism seems able to do the
job for the provider-networks BP, assuming that a JSON-only solution is
acceptable. If both JSON and XML support are needed, then, unless I am
missing something, creating a new (sub-)resource using a
ResourceExtension (similar to the portstats extension) seems like the
only straightforward option.

-Bob