[Openstack] A proposal for bug submission process

Marco Consonni mcocmo62 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:25:05 UTC 2012

Hello everybody,

My name's Marco and I've been participating to the OpenStack community for some months, now.
My contribution is mainly related to report documentation bugs but recently I submitted a couple of code bugs/enhancement requests.

I wanted to give some ideas on the bug filing process.

When I submit a bug, I would like to specify the version of the software I'm using.
To me, this would be very useful in particular for the person who's
going to fix it because s/he can reject the bug (giving indications why) if it has already fixed in the latest version.
In my opinion, this is so useful that you, as a reporter, should be
obliged to specify this piece of information in the bug submission form.
I don't know if this can be easily implemented with launchpad, but a
drop-down list with all the versions would be very handy.
The list should be populated by some person responsible for the
component/subsystem (Nova, Horizon, Swift, etc...) and it should be NOT
set by default. In this way the submitter is somehow "obliged" to indicate this important piece of information.
A not-default value should be "Unknown" for those people who don't know how to retrieve the information about the version they are using.

And this opens another (possible) issue: how can I easily retrieve the version I'm using?

At the moment I just found this description http://ken.pepple.info/openstack/2011/04/30/openstack-nova-version/ that, as far as I understand, is valid for Nova, only.
Maybe a good starting point but not sufficient.
The best would be a sort "unified method" for retrieving any component's version; maybe a CLI that sounds as follows:

$ os-version <component>

that returns the version of component (nova, swift, etc...). BTW os -in the command- stands for OpenStack.
Going a little further, a tool retrieving all the configuration details, could be useful.

I understand that the implementation of tools has several design implications and, probably, does not solve the problem for the versions produced so far.

A (maybe) easier solution could be to provide the submitter with information for retrieving the latest module version.
The way for retrieving the version can depend on the module (for Nova it's the method described in the link I reported; for Swift it's a different method I don't know, etc...)
Ideally, this information should be reported in the form you use for submitting bugs so that people don't have to crawl Internet for discovering and are, therefore, are encouraged to provide.
Again, this is possible if you can "configure" launchpad for this purpose.

That's all!

Marco.