[Openstack] Nova multi_host and Quantum

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed Jun 6 20:52:32 UTC 2012

Hi David,

It will be possible to use Quantum in Folsom with a "multi_host" like
approach where the gateway forwarding, NAT, and DHCP are handled locally

The work for Quantum to be feature complete is all targeted for the F-2
milestone (early July), but realistically, some of that will spill into
F-3, including likely the multi_host work.

Its also worth noting that to ensure a smooth transition, we are planning
on keeping the existing Nova network managers (Flat, FlatDHCP, Vlan) in the
Folsom release.  So while the default will shift to being Quantum, people
will have time to get experience with Quantum before having to change
anything about their existing setups.

Dan

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM, David Kranz <david.kranz at qrclab.com> wrote:

> I am confused about the plan for this in Folsom. I have seen by searching
> that multi_host in nova.conf and using Quantum is not supported in Essex,
> and that in Folsom there will be a Quantum way to get the same kind of ha
> as with multi_host. Does that mean that multi_host is being deprecated? At
> which milestone is Quantum scheduled to be "feature-complete"?
>
>  -David

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt