[Openstack] secure logging in OpenStack

Paolo Smiraglia paolo.smiraglia at polito.it
Wed Jun 6 18:39:55 UTC 2012

Hi all, I'm Paolo a research assistant at Polytechnic University of Turin.

I wrote a library that implement some security features for logging. In
a few words, the library generates a log files where all log entries are
linked through an hash chain. In this way it's possible to verify the
integrity of the log files. Now, I would to integrate functionalities
provided by my library in the OpenStack logging system.

From a rapid view of python logging module, I saw that its possible to
define custom logging handlers. My idea is to define a new handler as follow

   class SecureLogHandler(logging.Handler)

and to include it in the log module of OpenStack.

Is this a good approach?

There are some directives that I must follow (code styling, method
definition, ...)?

Thanks in advance for the replies!!! :-)

   Paolo

--
PAOLO SMIRAGLIA
Department of Control and Computer Engineering
Email: paolo.smiraglia at polito.it