[Openstack] [Metering] Agent configuration mechanism

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Wed Jun 6 09:49:26 UTC 2012

On 06/06/2012 10:39 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05 2012, Nick Barcet wrote:
>
>> I would have thought that we may want to support different intervals per
>> meters, based on the billing rules that one may want to offer.  For
>> example, I may want to bill compute by the hour but floating IPs by the
>> day, hence have a different reporting interval for each.
>
> I don't think you want to poll once a day something you bill per day. If
> you poll only at noon, and I use a resource from 8:00 to 10:00, you'll
> miss my usage and I'll use resource for free. :)

I don't think I specified which interval we would use for each, but
thanks for remind us of the limits of sampling.

> Yes, there's a minimum interval to be configured, but it's the interval
> that defined how much grained your metering/billing will be. E.g. if
> it's 1 hour, you won't charge anything used for less than one hour. You
> probably wants something like 5 minutes or less, and be sure the agent
> can keep up with the needed polling speed. :)

The only point I am trying to make is that the sampling interval is a
function of the billing interval. To insure efficient use of the
resources, it would be better (not crucial) to ensure that the polling
frequency be settable by meter, not just by agent.  The later would just
force to set the frequency to the lowest value needed for all meters
covered by that agent.  Again, this is acceptable, but not optimal.

Nick