[Openstack] cfg usage - option registration, global objects

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 16:50:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 12:21 -0400, Mark Washenberger wrote:
> > http://wiki.openstack.org/CommonLibrary#Incubation
>
> Once an api is in incubation, if you make a change to it, you are
> expected to update all the other openstack projects (not just core
> projects?) to make them work with the new api. Am I understanding this
> requirement correctly?

Yes, pretty much. The alternative is that you don't make backwards
incompatible API changes.

> If so, how is the incubation process supposed to make things better in
> terms of my concerns about nova.rpc?
>
> I just want to be able to make improvements to some of our programming
> practices without having to have a deep involvement with every
> openstack project. As a corporate sponsored developer, every extra bit
> of work I have to add in to a cleanup / technical debt / programming
> style task makes it harder to convince people to let me work on it
> during work hours. Every strategy I can think of to work around this
> extra difficulty would potentially run afoul of your pursuit of code
> conformity and reuse. That's why I keep pushing back on os-common.

I don't really follow.

What alternative strategy are you suggesting? That if glance, quantum,
cinder and ceilometer want to re-use Nova's RPC code, they should
copy-and-paste it and hack it to their needs?

Cheers,
Mark.