[Openstack] [Metering] Agent configuration mechanism

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jun 5 14:44:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Nick Barcet <nick.barcet at canonical.com>wrote:
>
>> Following up on our last meeting, here is a proposal for centrally
>> hosting configuration of agents in ceilometer.
>>
>> The main idea is that all agents of a given type should be sending
>> similarly formatted information in order for the information to be
>> usable, hence the need to ensure that configuration info is centrally
>> stored and retrieved.  This would rule out, in my mind, the idea that we
>> could use the global flags object, as distribution of the configuration
>> file is left to the cloud implementor and does not lend for easy and
>> synchronized updates of agent config.
>>
>> Configuration format and content is left to the agent's implementation,
>> but it is assumed that each meter covered by an agent can be :
>>  * enabled or disabled
>>  * set to send information at a specified interval.
>>

> Right now we only have one interval for all polling. Do you think we need
> to add support for polling different values at different intervals? Do we
> need other per-agent settings, or are all of the settings the same for all
> agents? (I had assumed the latter would be all we needed.)
>

>> 1/ Configuration is stored for each agent in the database as follow
>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>> | Field     | Type     | Note                                       |
>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>> | AgentType | String   | Unique agent type                          |
>> | ConfVers  | Integer  | Version of the configuration               |
>> | Config    | Text     | JSON Configuration info (defined by agent) |
>> +-----------+----------+--------------------------------------------+
>>
>> 2/ Config is retreived via the messaging queue upon boot once a day
>> (this should be defined in the global flags object) to check if the
>> config has changed.
>>

> Updating the config once a day is not going to be enough in an environment
> with a lot of compute nodes.

Two thoughts merged into one sentence there. Need more caffeine.

What I was trying to say, was that updating the config once a day might not
be enough, and in environments with a lot of compute nodes going around to
manually restart the services each time the config changes will be a pain.
See below for more discussion of pushing config settings out.