[Openstack] Websocket support long term

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:55:58 UTC 2012

On 05/30/2012 09:28 PM, Adam Young wrote:
> The recent discussion about node.js made me rethink the state of
> Websocket support for Apache and Openstack. A quick recap:
>
> 1) neither mod_wsgi nor mod_proxy support Web sockets.
> 2) There is a Websocket Module for Apache, but using it requires an
> additional apache module.
> 3) There is websocket support in Eventlet.
> 4) The argument for node.js is the same for Eventlet: rapid dispatch to
> support a large number of connections
> 5) noVNC currently uses websockify, and uses a simplistic web server to
> proxy over VNC traffic.
>
> The more I think about it, the more I think that the simplest, and most
> correct path forward is to use the websocket Apache module, and to write
> an additional module that will hook it up to Eventlet. Eventlet can
> listen on a local Port (127.0.0.1 only) and Apache will map that to a
> suburl. I'll code name it mod_websocket_proxy for now.

<snip>

Adam, other than the NoVNC piece in Nova and the Horizon project in
general, where do you see the need for Websockets in OpenStack? I could
easily be mistaken (happens a lot!), but I see Websockets as a great
tool for client-side and UI interaction, and not so much useful in the
eventlet servers that we use for so many OpenStack services (nova-api,
swift-proxy, glance-api, glance-registry, keystone-api, etc). Could you
elaborate how you see Websockets (and your proposed mod_websocket_proxy)
being useful to OpenStack services outside of horizon and noVNC?

Thanks!
-jay