[Openstack] XCP snapshotting with volumes attached failure

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 18:39:14 UTC 2012

On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:40 AM, John Garbutt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, not had chance to look at the bugs in the last few days.
>
> It should be possible to just snapshot the root VDI. I guess that is what makes the most sense, what does the API say should happen?

+1 Snapshots should only be of the root drive

Volume snapshots should be done through the volume api (currently there is no way to back these snapshots up into glance or some such but that should be added)

> I guess we want the snapshot operation on the volume. I am not sure how well this plays with boot from volume.

The only case where i can see a compute snapshot doing a snapshot of a volume is if we have booted from a volume. The semantics are a little unclear though. Does it snapshot the volume and turn it into a bootable image? (that is what compute snapshots currently do)