[Openstack] 401 Not Authorized from glance - How to fix ?

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Jun 1 17:43:51 UTC 2012

Several thoughts to ponder. One is, the nova image-list command is
using the Compute API, not the Image API. You can turn on --debug to
see the curl statement issued from the nova client (very handy, that).
Do:
nova --debug image-list
to see what I mean.

Also note there's a new bugfix for python-novaclient
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/7200/) that fixes a problem with
prettyprint 0.6 removing printt (so it uses get_string now with the
latest version).

Also, I'd definitely point you to this guide as it has drop-in python
code for requesting a token:
http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/programmer/content/using-python-to-obtain-the-authentication-token.html

Usually when I get an error from the Image API (Glance) it's because I
didn't put the proper paste-deploy filter in one of the Glance conf
files. If you're the cloud admin in this case, double-check your
glance config with:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/content/configure-glance-files.html

If you're not the cloud admin, also know that the Image API isn't
publicly available on many public clouds such as TryStack.

Hope this is helpful.
Anne