[Openstack] hidden / phasing out instance_types/flavors

Doug Davis dug at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 1 16:54:00 UTC 2012

Just wondering, is there any reason flavors are not limited to just
create-time?  Meaning, use it to create a new instance and then copy all
of the flavor data into the new instance's data. This breaks the
relationship between the instance and the flavor, allow each to be changed
independently - or even deleted.  Doing this would mean you wouldn't need
to add a "disabled" flag at all - just delete the flavor if you don't want
anyone to use it.   This would also allow for an easier modification of
existing instances - just modify the instance's property that needs to
change w/o creating a whole new flavor (avoids the proliferation of
flavors too).

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug at us.ibm.com

Matthew Sherborne <matt.sherborne at rackspace.com>
Sent by: openstack-bounces+dug=us.ibm.com at lists.launchpad.net
06/01/2012 10:41 AM

openstack at lists.launchpad.net
cc

Subject
[Openstack] hidden / phasing out instance_types/flavors

Hi Openstack community,

We recently uploaded this change: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/8007/

It adds a 'disabled' field to the 'instance_type' or 'flavor' concept.

The usage scenario we had in mind was to phase out a flavor that's already
in use; people shouldn't be able to build new instances from that flavor,
nor should customers see it in the list of available flavors. But when
they view an existing instance with that flavor type, they should still be
able to see the name of it at least. But should you change your mind later
and wish to re-enable it, it's easy to just flip the flag.

We'd appreciate feedback on the added field and the use of the namespace
in the core code. (Line 56 here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/8007/1/nova/api/openstack/compute/views/flavors.py
 )

The reasoning behind this is:
 * If we did it as an extension, it would greatly complicate the code. The
code is much simpler being right in the core code.
 * We can't just add a field to the API quickly, so we need to use the
namespace.
 * The hope is that eventually it would be accepted into the  main API
anyway, then the coding would be just removing the namespace.

Many thanks in for reading. All feedback appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Post to     : openstack at lists.launchpad.net