[Openstack] [ceilometer] requesting feedback on priorities for metering data collection

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Jul 25 17:29:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Aguiar, Glaucimar (Brazil R&D-ECL) <
glaucimar.aguiar at hp.com> wrote:

>  Doug,****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for sending this out. I am interested in this project and as I
> could not have it working yet with my Essex release of OpenStack

Some of the pieces work with Essex, but the actual daemons don't, yet. We
are planning to discuss this at our meeting this Thursday (
http://wiki.openstack.org/Meetings/MeteringAgenda).

> I would like to better understand the metrics collected you mention below.
> ****
>
> I have being reading the documentation and code extensively and would like
> to count on your help to better understand some aspects of the ceilometer.
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Some questions below, sorry if they sound so easy for you but if you could
> help me with these, this would be of a great help for me.

These are good questions, thanks for bringing them up!

> ****
>
> ****
>
> When you say CPU usage meters, does it mean ceilometer is already capable
> of reporting the cpu consumption over an hour?

We are currently polling libvirt periodically to get the total CPU time for
an instance. The frequency of polling is adjustable, but I think the
default is 10 minutes. The value returned by libvirt represents the total
time for the instance, but a client could pull the data and perform the
calculation over a period of time. The API we have defined allows for
querying within a time range, for example.

> Does this take into account the number of CPUs of the instance or this
> should be derived from the instance data?

The number of CPUs in an instance is part of the metadata associated with
the counter, but does not enter into the calculation of CPU-time as far as
I know. We ask libvirt for that info, and just use what we're given.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thank you very much for any help in increasing my understanding of the
> behavior of this component. I can also contact you in IRC if you prefer.

I hope my answers help,
Doug