[Openstack] VM High Availability and Floating IP

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 19:23:21 UTC 2012

On 07/24/2012 09:52 AM, Alessandro Tagliapietra wrote:
> Thank you Jay, never read about that.
> Seems something like scalr/chef? WHich handles application and keeps a minimum number of vm running?

The idea of keeping a minimum number of VMs running based upon VM load
is called auto-scaling.  We have added auto-scaling to our v5 release
(which is targeted for July 30th).

As far as puppet/chef integration goes, CloudFormation integrates well
with both.

For chef read:
http://www.full360.com/blogs/integrating-aws-cloudformation-and-chef

For puppet read:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cloudformation-examples/IntegratingAWSCloudFormationWithPuppet.pdf

Note while these links talk about "AWS CloudFormation", Heat is
essentially an AWS CloudFormation implementation for OpenStack.

If you want to get started and give heat a try on Fedora 17+ or Ubuntu
Precise, our getting started guides are in our wiki:

https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki

Let me know if you have follow-up questions.

Regards
-steve