[Openstack] VM High Availability and Floating IP

Alessandro Tagliapietra tagliapietra.alessandro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:29:59 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

i've 2 missing pieces in my HA openstack install. Actually all openstack services are managed by pacemaker and i can succesfully start/stop vm etc. when the cloud controller is down (i've only 2 servers atm).

1 - how can i make a VM HA? Actually live-migration works fine, but if a host goes down, how can i restart the vm on the other host? Should i edit the 'host' column in the db and issue the restart of the vm? Any other way?

2 - i've the servers hosted at Hetzner, for floating ip we've bought failover ip which are assigned to each host and can be changed via the api. So i have to make sure that if vm is on host1, floating ip associated to the vm is routed to host1.  My idea was to run a job that checks the floating ip already associated to any vm, then queries the vm info, checks on which host it's running and if it's different from the other check, calls the hetzner api to switch the ip to the other server. Any other idea?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

--
Alessandro Tagliapietra | VISup srl