[Openstack] Improving logging

Adam Gandelman adamg at canonical.com
Fri Jul 20 01:21:06 UTC 2012

On 07/18/2012 04:32 PM, Eugene Kirpichov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that there are quite a few cases when I found my OpenStack
> installation is broken and logging was not verbose enough for me to
> understand what exactly was broken, so I had to add more logging
> statements to the code and relaunch.
>
> Would it be useful to contribute such small logging-only patches
> aplenty as they appear or would that just unnecessarily bother the
> reviewers?
> Are there any logging "best practices" in OpenStack - e.g., is anyone
> worried about the possible code bloat or "log bloat" due to too many
> logging statements?
> (my experience says that it's impossible to have too many logging
> statements in a complex system, but well).
>
> Also, is the log format supposed to be machine-parseable / do people
> depend on it, or does it make sense to try introducing patches
> increasing readability of logs, fixing typos etc.?
>
> Thanks.
>
> [That's my first email to the list. Nice to meet you. I'm a huge fan
> of everything that helps understand the behavior of distributed
> systems, thus my interest specifically in logging]

Speaking of logging...  I've noticed in Folsom, since the migration of
nova to use openstack-common logging facilities, nova services no longer
logs anything useful (if anything at all) to the log files it used to.
I imagine a tweaked logging.conf needs to be supplied to provide log
output comporable to the default verbose=True and debug=True  logging
setups from Essex.  Does anyone have an example logging.conf that will
get me this or is this documented somewhere?

Adam