[Openstack] Improving logging

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 23:32:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

I noticed that there are quite a few cases when I found my OpenStack
installation is broken and logging was not verbose enough for me to
understand what exactly was broken, so I had to add more logging
statements to the code and relaunch.

Would it be useful to contribute such small logging-only patches
aplenty as they appear or would that just unnecessarily bother the
reviewers?
Are there any logging "best practices" in OpenStack - e.g., is anyone
worried about the possible code bloat or "log bloat" due to too many
logging statements?
(my experience says that it's impossible to have too many logging
statements in a complex system, but well).

Also, is the log format supposed to be machine-parseable / do people
depend on it, or does it make sense to try introducing patches
increasing readability of logs, fixing typos etc.?

Thanks.

[That's my first email to the list. Nice to meet you. I'm a huge fan
of everything that helps understand the behavior of distributed
systems, thus my interest specifically in logging]

--
Eugene Kirpichov
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov