[Openstack] Identity API v3 - Why allow multi-tenant users?

Joseph Heck heckj at me.com
Wed Jul 18 18:16:43 UTC 2012

Perhaps a poor analogy with email - The domain is an arbitrary string that's intended for tenant isolation in large openstack environments. It's a place to hang policy so that you can delegate things like "password changing" (where the keystone backend supports it) to someone other than the keystone-uber-administrator.

I expect almost any smaller/smallish deployment of OpenStack to likely use just a single domain, which is mostly ignored. It's really a mechanism in place for service-provider sized clouds, or where you want to be able to enforce hard boundaries in permissions between groups of tenants by customizing the policy.json files to respect domain_id information.

I would expect that in any implementation, it would be independent of email domain names or such - At least that wouldn't be a way that I'd slice up permissions across projects.

-joe