[Openstack] [Quantum] Scalable agents

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 12:17:50 UTC 2012

On 07/18/2012 04:23 AM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM, Gary Kotton <gkotton at redhat.com
> <mailto:gkotton at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     The patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/9591/ contains the
>     initial support for the scalable agents (this is currently
>     implemented on the linux bridge). At the moment this does not
>     support a network or port update, that is, the user can set
>     'admin_status_up' to 0. This means that either the network or the
>     port should stop handling traffic.
>     The network/port update is challenging in a number of respects.
>     First and foremost the quantum plugin is not aware of the agent on
>     which the port may have been allocated (this is where the VM has
>     been deployed). In addition to this there may be a number of
>     agents running.
>     There are a number of options to perform the port update. They are
>     listed below:
>     1. Make use of the openstack-common notifier support. This would
>     have the plugin notify "all" of the agents. I have yet to look at
>     the code but guess that it is similar to the next item.
>     2. Make use of the RPC mechanism to have the plugin notify the
>     agents. At the moment the plugin has the topic of all of the
>     agents (this is used for a health check to ensure that the
>     configuration on the agent is in sync with that of the plugin). It
>     is described in detail in
>     https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MbcBA2Os4b98ybdgAw2qe_68R1NG6KMh8zdZKgOlpvg/edit?pli=1
>
>     If I understand correctly then both of the above would require
>     that the agents are also RPC consumers. In both of the above the
>     when there is a update to either a network or port then there will
>     be a lot of traffic broadcast on the network.
>

> Hi Gary,
>
> Yes, I think either way, to eliminate the polling, we need to have
> some mechanism to inform the agents that they need to update state.
>  My goal would be to build a standard mechanism for this that to the
> degree possible leverages existing APIs and data formats, so that we
> can avoid having multiple formats for the same data and avoid any
> RPC-call sprawl.

I agree with you wholeheartedly here. In my opinion this is what I have
started with the RPC inclusion and initial support. At the moment this
lacks the "update from the service" side (which essentially is what this
mail is about :))

> I agree that we don't want to broadcast all data everyone.  At the
> same time, I'd like to avoid having to make the the core plugin code
> running within quantum-server be aware of all of the different agents.
>  What I think would be idea is that we have a fine-grained
> notification mechanism for when objects (networks, subnets, ports) are
> updated, and that agents could choose to register for updates on
> particular objects.

This is along the sames lines that I was thinking. In the current
implementation the agent connects to the service to sync with the
configuration. I was thinking of having the agent publicize it what
information it would like to receive, for example:
     - quantum agent - needs port and network updates (port creation and
deletion are treated in the current implementation)
     - dhcp-agent - port creation, deletion and updates
     - firewall agent - ...

When the service performs an operation and one of the agents supports
the operation type then that agent should be updated. These are not
"real time" opertaions and for the first phase we can use the broadcast
mechnism. I do think that we should optimize for very large scale
environments.

> For example, a DHCP agent handling all DHCP for a deployment might
> register for create/update/delete operations on subnets + ports,
> whereas a plugin agent might only register for updates from the ports
> that it sees locally on the hypervisor.  Conceptually, you could think
> of there being a 'topic' per port in this case, though we may need to
> implement it differently in practice.

The agent ID is currently stored in the database (this is for the
configuration sync mechanism). I think that adding an extra column
indicating the capabilities enables the service to notify the agents.
The issue is how refined can the updates be - we want to ensure that we
have a scalable architecture.

> In general, I think it is ideal if these external agents can use
> standard mechanisms and formats as much as possible.  For example,
> after learning that port X was created, the DHCP agent can actually
> use a standard webservice GET to learn about the configuration of the
> port (or if people feel that such information should be included in
> the notification itself, this notification data uses the same format
> as the webservice API).

I am not sure that I agree here. If the service is notifying the agent
then why not have the information being passed in the message (IP + mac
etc.) There is no need for the GET operation.