[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 09:17:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 14:47 -0500, Andrew Bogott wrote:

> Like most people in this thread, I too long for an end to the weird
> double-commit process that we're using now.  So I'm happy to set aside
> my original Best Practices proposal until there's some consensus
> regarding how much longer we're going to use that process.  Presumably
> opinions about how to handle merge-from-common commits will vary in the
> meantime, but that's something we can live with.
>
> In terms of promoting common into a real project, though, I want to
> raise another option that's guaranteed to be unpopular:  We make
> openstack-common a git-submodule that is automatically checked out
> within the directory tree of each other project.

Several people have suggested using submodules and I've always said "my
instinct says ick! but feel free to try it out and we'll consider it".

I've had bad experiences with git submodules. They confuse the heck out
of people.

And since this "managed copy-and-paste" process is for incubating APIs
only and we'll soon have library releases for stable APIs, I just don't
think it's worth the hassle of submodules.

Again, though, if someone shows how it can work and not be confusing for
people, I could easily be persuaded.

Cheers,
Mark.