[Openstack] Api startup issue (maybe pastedeploy related)

Pitucha, Stanislaw Izaak stanislaw.pitucha at hp.com
Fri Jul 13 18:04:58 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I just tried to install nova from the folsom-2 package and run into an issue with the api server, which I can't really figure out.
Tracking the progress with a large number of strategically placed "print"s I get to the stage where the api (for example metadata) app is being loaded in load_app() (from nova/wsgi.py)
Then, going deeper into paste.deploy, I can see the configuration being loaded via the "loadobj" / "loadcontext" functions. Finally the context (LoaderContext) is returned and loadobj() tries to return context.create()

Here python just stops on a line which tries to access self.object_type. There's no exception, error or segfault. Python just closes down.
If I change the create function to:

def create(self) :
    print 'creating context'
    print 'for object type %s' % (type(object_type),)
    return ....

the last message I see is "creating context". Any attempt to access object_type (even just to get its type) causes a crash (?), but doesn't leave any trace like a coredump.

Additionally I run into http://bugs.python.org/issue1596321 but I don't think that's related, since I no threads are started by this point (I think...)
I'm running on a clean Ubuntu Precise machine with:
python 2.7.3-0ubuntu2
python-pastedeploy 1.5.0-2build1

Does anyone have a good idea how to fix or at least debug it?

Regards,
Stanisław Pitucha
Cloud Services
Hewlett Packard