[Openstack] [nova] [cinder] Nova-volume vs. Cinder in Folsom

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Fri Jul 13 01:01:48 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm not an OpenStack developer nor any type of developer. I am, however,
heavily involved with operations for a few production OpenStack
environments. I understand the debate going on and wanted to add an
administrator's point of view.

For admins, OpenStack is not our job, but a tool we use in our job. It's
terribly frustrating when that tool drastically changes every six months.

I find Gabriel's reply interesting and sane. I think if it was agreed upon
to ensure N+1 compatibility, then OpenStack should adhere to that.

The change being discussed involves storage volumes. This is dead serious.
If the migration goes awry, there's potential for production data loss. If
the badly-migrated OpenStack environment is used to offer services for
outside customers, we've just lost data for those customers. It's one of
the worst scenarios for admins.

If upgrading from one version of OpenStack to the next is too dangerous due
to the possibility of getting into situations such as described above, then
it needs to be clearly announced. There's a reason why major RHEL releases
are maintained in parallel for so long.

With regard to Option 1, I understand the benefits of making this change.
If Option 1 was chosen, IMO, the best-case scenario would be if the extra
work involved with upgrading to Cinder/Folsom was just a schema migration
and everything else still worked as it did with Essex.

If this were to happen, though, I would spend /weeks/ testing and planning
the Folsom upgrade. I'd estimate that my production environments would make
it to Folsom 3 months after it was released. But then what major change am
I going to have to worry about in another 3 months?

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.