[Openstack] [nova] [cinder] Nova-volume vs. Cinder in Folsom

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 21:40:32 UTC 2012

On Jul 12, 2012, at 2:36 PM, David Mortman wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya
> <vishvananda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Two thoughts:
>
> 1) I think this is the wrong forum to poll operators on their
> preferences in general
>
> 2) We don't yet even have a fully laid out set of requirements and
> steps for how someone would convert or how hard it will be.
> Historically (with openstack and software in general), it is _always_
> harder to upgrade then we think it will be. I'm an optimist and I
> think it will be a disaster...

Excellent points. Let me make the following proposal:

1) Leave the code in nova-volume for now.
2) Document and test a clear migration path to cinder.
3) Take the working example upgrade to the operators list and ask them for opinions.
4) Decide based on their feedback whether it is acceptable to cut the nova-volume code out for folsom.

Vish