[Openstack] [nova] [cinder] Nova-volume vs. Cinder in Folsom

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 16:30:35 UTC 2012

We currently have a large deployment that is based on nova-volume as it is
in trunk today, and just ripping it out will be quite painful.  For us,
option #2 is the only suitable option.

We need a smooth migration path, and time to successfuly migrate to Cinder.
Since there is no clear migration path between Openstack Nova releases, we
have to track very close to trunk.  The rapid change of nova and nova-volume
trunk has already been a very difficult task.  Ripping nova-volume out of nova
would bring us to a standstill until we could migrate to Cinder.

Cinder has made great strides to get where it is today, but
I really hope we, the Openstack community, will take the time to consider the
ramifications, and make sure that we take the time needed to ensure both
a successful release of Cinder and a successful transition from nova-volume
to Cinder.

--
Chuck