[Openstack] [keystone] - V3 API implementation & folsom goals

Joseph Heck heckj at mac.com
Thu Jul 12 15:35:17 UTC 2012

During Tuesday's keystone meeting (http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2012/openstack-meeting.2012-07-10-18.01.html if you're curious), we reviewed the work that we'd originally lined up against Folsom and did a check against the time remaining in the development cycle (through August 16th - http://wiki.openstack.org/FolsomReleaseSchedule).

It was pretty clear that while we had high hopes, there's a lot remaining that isn't going to get done. Related to that, I've unlinked a significant number of blueprints from the folsom-3 milestone. Based on the current trajectory, I suspect they won't make it for those blueprints. If we start making significant traction on the development to get those features and components done, then we'll relink them.

The V3 API has been nailed down sufficient to start implementation, and that's my view of our highest focus outside of the PKI work that Adam Young has been pushing into place. I am hopeful that we can have a V3 API fully implemented and operational by the end of the Folsom-3 milestone (in a few weeks), but I feel it's far too late in the development cycle to ask any other OpenStack core projects to rely on that effort for a Folsom release. Regardless of hope, I've unlinked the V3 API blueprint and the pieces dependent on it from the folsom series until it's clear that we're going to be in a position to actually deliver those items.

Related to the V3 API work, I've done a quick breakdown, and we're abusing the bug mechanism in launchpad to help coordinate and track. The "bugs" related to the work breakdown have all been tagged with "v3api", and have been prioritized. The general breakdown is set to implement tests that represent the V3 API, and then fill in the implementation to make those tests work.

-joe