[Openstack] Call for comments and testing: prototype for OpenStack Document translation process

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 15:21:01 UTC 2012

Awesome work, Daisy! Comments inline...

On 07/09/2012 04:59 PM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
> Hi, team
>
> I created a prototype of document translation, to verify the whole
> document translation process: slicing a doc, uploading to transifex,
> translating,
> downloading to local disk, merging the translation back into DocBook,
> and generating translated PDF/HTML.

Very nice.

> The source codes are in
> https://github.com/daisy-ycguo/openstack-manuals-i18n.
> ( It's a copy of openstack-manuals, not the latest version, just for
> testing )
> The document is here: https://gist.github.com/3037139.
> The translation start point is here:
> https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/openstack-manuals-i18n/
>
> You can try to create a Chinese version of api-quick-start and
> openstack-api-programming following
> the guidance in https://gist.github.com/3037139 as a coordinator. If you
> meet with any problems, please let me know.

It would probably be best to work with Anne Gentle (cc'd) to get this
great information into the OpenStack wiki.

> Following topics are under discussion:
> a> Whether to use a separate repository for each language
> I personally don't prefer that, because separate repository
> will make the synchronization very complex. In this prototype, I only
> keep the English DocBook and a serials of
> PO files. The latest Chinese DocBook can be generated from these resources.

Yeah, I agree that a single repo would be much easier to maintain.

> b> How to handle when  the original English doc book is updated
> I'm investigating it.

You could do a couple things:

a) Use a git submodule for the English doc book content -- this actually
works really well for subdirectories in a source code project that are
dependent on an upstream repo and which you don't often (or ever) make
any changes to. To pull in fresh changes to the English doc book XML,
you'd simply do:

cd $source_dir/en/
git submodule update
cd ../
# Now work with the updated English docs...

Here is a tutorial on using Git submodules:

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSubmoduleTutorial

They take a little while to get used to, but they are a pretty powerful
tool for this use case. The osops chef repo uses this strategy for
tracking upstream OpsCode (and other) canonical cookbooks:

https://github.com/osops/chef-repo/tree/master/cookbooks

b) You can write some automation script that would pull in updates of
the English doc book XML into some local working directory in your
source tree.

> c> How to make the process automatically
> I think we need CI team's help, to see which steps can be integrated
> with Jenkins.

Most anything can be integrated into Jenkins with enough effort :) I'm
sure Monty Taylor's (cc'd) team would be happy to assist in these things.

Best,
-jay