[Openstack] Compressed image support ?

Wang Li foxban at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 08:04:15 UTC 2012

hi, all

	As to the horizon UI,   zip and tar.gz image files are supported.

"""
	Specify an image to upload to the Image Service.

	Currently only images available via an HTTP URL are supported. The image location must be accessible to the Image Service. Compressed image binaries are supported (.zip and .tar.gz.)

"""

	My test environment is as follow:

	1. LVM as image backend of vms.
	2. running vms on Xen in PV mode

	But when I upload a tar gzipped raw image file, nova just dd from it to logical volume, thus, nova error logged

		"Boot loader didn't return any data!"

	I grepped the nova and glance source code, found nothing about of "gz" or "zip" that related to image.

	This feature is valuable to our use case, for the raw image file is 4GB, but the compressed version is only 400MB.

	Did I misunderstand the compressed image support?

Regards.
Wang Li