[Openstack] [Nova] Networking changes and quantum

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Sat Jul 7 00:57:14 UTC 2012

Hi Ryan,

L3 + Floating IPs are being added to Quantum in F-3 (got bumped from F-2).

I haven't looked at your patch in detail, but it seems like you're looking
to notice when a floating-ip is allocated or deallocated, and use that to
trigger a change to the configuration of an external BGP daemon.

Assuming that's the case, I'd much rather we take the approach of creating
a notification API that would let you build this functionality as an
external component process that feeds off of notifications about floating
IPs being allocated and deallocated.  We're looking at something similar
for DHCP as well. This let's people implement custom functionality without
having to modify the core code and config files.  We have a blueprint to
add such a notification framework to Quantum (likely based on work in
Nova), but at this point, but its not clear when this will land (likely
depends on whether it is used for DHCP improvements in F-3 or not).  If
you're interested in helping out with it, let me know.

Dan

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Ryan Lane <rlane at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to add support to nova for BGP announcements for floating
> IP addresses (as an alternative to subnetting and ARP). The change
> currently has a -1, since networking code is moving to quantum. It
> seems that quantum doesn't have floating IP support, though. Where
> should I be adding this code?
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/9255/
>
> - Ryan

Dan Wendlandt