[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Wed Jul 4 23:12:03 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 21:17 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Interestingly enough - gerrit supports submodules pretty well... and it
> does exactly what Eric said below ... if both the project and
> superproject are in gerrit, and a change is made to the project, gerrit
> can automatically update the superproject reference.

Actually, I may not have been clear enough. I meant to say that we do NOT need to update the project reference automatically, this can be done manually, more reflective of the current development pattern. Yet, even if done manually, it would greatly minimize the double-commit scenario we have today. Someone could manually update the reference, which is a single-line change in a single commit, rather than merging and reintegrating many patches to many files.

> At least as an external library you can freeze a version requirement until such time as you see fit to properly updated that code and *ensure* compatibility in your project
Isn't this what we get with git submodules? Sure, that version is just a commit-id (or tag), but it isn't tracking HEAD, either. For stable releases, we can tag and update the reference to point to that tag.

--
Eric Windisch