[Openstack] OpenStack "G" naming poll

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 08:42:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:02:46AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Brian Waldon wrote:
> > On Jul 3, 2012, at 5:21 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> >> At the g summit, we'd tell everyone where the next summit is:
> >> At the g summit, we'd vote and announce the name of h
> >> We wouldn't have to spend half the cycle saying "h, or whatever" when we
> >> mean "we're going to defer that crazy idea until next time"
> >> I wouldn't have had to use the letter g by itself twice just above here.
> >
> > Fantastic idea.
> >
> > I haven't been involved in choosing the next location, so I'm not sure how hard it would be to choose it that far in advance. Maybe somebody can comment on how doable this is?
>
> It's definitely doable (and desirable). Actually that's the plan for the
> next one: close the date and location deal before the summit so that we
> can announce the next one during the summit itself.
>
> So we would definitely vote in person (like we did for Cactus at the
> Bexar summit), so much funnier than a Launchpad poll.

I'd be against doing a vote in person at the summit on the basis that
this would exclude a large portion of the community who are unable to
attend :-( A online poll is fully inclusive of the OpenStack community.

I think the same point applies more broadly to any important decisions
related to the project, for which the community is ultimately responsible.
Meeting people face-to-face for technical presentations / discussions
/ debates is a productive way of examining difficult issues, but those
who are unfortunate enough to not attend summits can feel very isolated.
This leads to people feeling there is a 2-tier community. To counter this,
IMHO, it is important to communicate important decisions resulting from
f-2-f meetings to the community & provide a means for them to add any
relevant feedback & influence decisions.

Regards,
Daniel