[Openstack] Single global dependency list

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jul 4 00:58:26 UTC 2012

On 07/03/2012 04:23 PM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> Agreed on all points, and I know you're not evil, Monty. ;-)
> (mostly)

Dammit. I'm going to HAVE to try harder... see my other post about
Bulgarian bars with freezers...

> You're totally right that this particular case won't stymie new
> contributors, but as we've seen for changes to common--and sometimes
> even to the client libraries or devstack--reviewers are in short
> supply and getting the change you need in one of the "gate" projects
> merged can often add days of impedance to otherwise fruitful work.
> It's bitten me plenty of times.

Yes. It's super hard and frustrating- especially as someone who rarely
makes patches to the projects themselves UNLESS it's something happening
through openstack-common ... or something that just broke between
devstack and our infrastructure.

> So the need for balance is critical. Being able to vet the impact of
> a change on every project consuming it is difficult for either
> automated systems or human reviewers, so we do our best.
>
> Perhaps the simplest answer for now is devising a reasonable set of
> automated gate tests for this "os-requires " module that humans can
> trust, and working to expand the circle of reviewers on these
> centralized projects that have the power to block everyone yet are so
> easy to ignore...

TOTALLY agree - especially on expanding the circle of reviewers.