[Openstack] OpenStack "G" naming poll

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jul 4 00:49:04 UTC 2012

On 07/03/2012 07:29 PM, Brian Waldon wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2012, at 5:21 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>
>> tl;dr - Screw the rules, I agree
>>
>> Let's at least add it to the poll.
>>
>> Also - I think we should further amend the rules such that we select the
>> NEXT release by the summit for the current release. That means two things:
>>
>> At the g summit, we'd tell everyone where the next summit is:
>> At the g summit, we'd vote and announce the name of h
>> We wouldn't have to spend half the cycle saying "h, or whatever" when we
>> mean "we're going to defer that crazy idea until next time"
>> I wouldn't have had to use the letter g by itself twice just above here.
>
> Fantastic idea.
>
> I haven't been involved in choosing the next location, so I'm not sure how hard it would be to choose it that far in advance. Maybe somebody can comment on how doable this is?

I actually think it's HARDER to not choose it that far in advance,
because the longer you wait, the more places are booked already.
Although it's not exactly the same - linux conf australia always
announces the location of the next conference at the current conference
- and those are yearly. Also, they have a rotating set of host teams...
so basically a team from a town puts in a proposal to linux.au saying
"we'd like to host the next one, here's what we're going to do, here's
where we're going to have it, blah blah blah" - and then one of them
gets selected, and then they're the poor sods that have to actually run
the darned thing.

So to stick my nose WAY in where it doesn't belong, once we have the
foundation - what if we move to a model of having folks propose that
they'd like to host the design summit? We can make a CFP-style deadline,
and people can all pitch their location, and one can get chosen and
announced by Thierry at a closing session or whatnot. That way if I
wanted to get together with some other folks and say "hey guys, I've got
10 rooms that NYU has donated, and I'll provide these facilities" - then
great, or if mercado libre wanted to say "zomg - we totally going to
bring you all to the Shearton WTC in Sao Paulo" - or NTT was all "dude,
we've got a thousand rooms in the middle of Tokyo" or Rackspace went "I
don't know if anybody noticed, but we bought a shopping mall a few years
ago and it's got conference rooms" ... the folks can sit in a room, look
at the proposals, say things like "wow, I really don't want to sit in
the castle all week when I sit there all week anyway - but drinking with
Monty in the Lower East Side at a bar that has freezer they'll lock you
in with a bottle of vodka sounds like a great way to plan the Houston
release" (that's how-ston for all you Texans) -- it would almost be like
distributed development with code review.

Of course, if that flys I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to
take everyone to Mehanata...

Monty