[Openstack] Anyone using instance metadata?

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:07:34 UTC 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Scott Moser wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>
>> Metadata is supposed to be user "tags" that are associated with a guest
>> that are available via the api. We discussed displaying these tags inside
>> the guest as well.
>
> Am I reading it wrong? It seems like it *is* available inside the guest.
> At very least with config drive on i know it is.

The config drive was a later addition because we thought it might be useful.
The plan was to add it to the metadata server once we had a /openstack available.

>> The main difference between user-data and metadata is that metadata is
>> available to the api, whereas user-data is only available in the guest.
>
> So to avoid confusion, if the intent was tags, I think we should disable
> the 'meta.js' file injection, and get over the screams now.
>
> half and half is just confusing.
>
> Thoughts?

Seems much more useful in metadata server than in config drive, but we should
probably keep the same semantics we have been discussing

i.e. the same values are in both places. Config drive is information as it was during
launch and metadata is current information.

Vish