[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jul 3 13:55:48 UTC 2012

Andrew Bogott <abogott at wikimedia.org> writes:

> I.      As soon as a patch drops into common, the patch author should
> submit merge-from-common patches to all affected projects.
>     A.  (This should really be done by a bot, but that's not going to
> happen overnight)

Actually, I think with our current level of tooling, we can have Jenkins
do this (run by Zuul as a post-merge job on openstack-common).

I very much believe that the long-term goal should be to make
openstack-common a library -- so nothing I say here should be construed
against that.  But as long as it's in an incubation phase, if doing
something like this would help move things along, we can certainly
implement it, and fairly easily.

Note that a naive implementation might generate quite a bit of review
spam if several small changes land to openstack-common (there would then
be changes*projects number of reviews in gerrit).  We have some code
laying around which might be useful here that looks for an existing open
change and amends it; at least that would let us have at most only one
open merge-from-common-change per-project.

Okay, that's all on that; I don't want to derail the main conversation,
and I'd much rather it just be a library if we're close to being ready
for that.

-Jim