[Openstack] PyPI uploads for client libs live

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Jul 3 13:54:56 UTC 2012

On 07/03/2012 08:47 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2012, at 5:57 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Monty Taylor wrote:
>>> At the moment, the only people with permission to upload tags is
>>> the openstack-release team. However, since we're letting client
>>> libs manage their own versions, I kinda think we should give PTLs
>>> the right on their own project - so Vish would get tag access to
>>> python-novaclient, Brian to python-glanceclient, etc.
>>
>> Ideally it would be a two-side approval process (PTL +
>> openstack-release), because openstack-release shouldn't be able to
>> tag without PTL approval, and openstack-release should still be
>> kept in the loop before a tag is pushed by PTLs (there are multiple
>> reasons why a few hours delay before tagging would be a good idea,
>> and the openstack-release people actually keep track of those).
>>
>> That said, we don't have that approval mechanism available yet
>> (same issue with the core projects release tagging) so in the mean
>> time we should probably let the small set of individuals with an
>> understanding of the issues (PTLs + openstack-release) have the
>> power to do it. Within that group, we can have a soft two-side
>> approval process (based on IRC pings) to check "everything is OK"
>> before triggering a release.
>
> Could we use gerrit's 2-step approval like we do for other projects
> and combine it with a fancy tag detector like was just added for
> DocImpact?

I have an outstanding bug/feature request for gerrit to allow for the
review of and approval or disapproval of tags.

That being said - if we wanted to go the route you're talking about in
the mean time, instead of actually using the git tag route we could have
an additional commit with a magical text in the commit message which, on
merging, would cause a tag to be created... We've got guys on the team
who hack gerrit now though - lemme get some feedback on how much it
would take to actually get proper tag reviewing.

Monty