[Openstack] Heterogeneous hardware support

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 18:34:28 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 12:09 PM, balaji patnala wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> As you know that L2 and L3 services could be the next step of offering
> as Services from Cloud providers. Security Applications like
> WAF,IPS,Firewall,VPN etc can be offered as services. These security
> applications can be run in VMs on Heterogeneous hardware like Freescale
> and any other platforms.

I'm not sure if heterogeneous hardware supported is specifically related
to security, but ...

> Open Stack must support for the Heterogeneous hardware to enable
> different hardware platforms apart from x86.

There's nothing about OpenStack, in general, that is specific to x86
hardware. It's Python, so if the Linux distribution of your preference
runs on some other hardware architecture, have at it. The images you
deploy will need to be tailored to the hardware architecture, of course,
but that isn't the realm of what OpenStack services do -- that's up to
the deployer.

> Please share with us if you have any examples of similar deployments in
> Clouds.

ISI is the group most actively working on heterogeneous architecture
support, but I don't believe they are focusing on security-related
things at all.

Best,
-jay