[Openstack] CY12-Q2 Community Analysis — OpenStack vs OpenNebula vs Eucalyptus vs CloudStack

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:51:07 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 05:00 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Qingye Jiang (John) wrote:
>> I would like to let you know that I have just finished an analysis on
>> the 4 open source projects (OpenStack, OpenNebula, Eucalyptus,
>> CloudStack) from a community activity perspective. The analysis report
>> could be found from my personal blog at http://www.qyjohn.net/?p=2233
>> (with a lot of figures).
>
> Nice work!
>
> However I still think it's a bit difficult/unfair to compare raw email
> numbers like this... For example, the cloudstack-dev mailing-list is
> used for patches and receives automated emails from "review requests"
> and comments on reviews.apache.org, whereas the openstack ML (and I
> suspect the other projects as well) only use lists for discussions, and
> use other tools for patches and reviews.
>
> So in the end it's interesting to look at trends within a given project
> and on a given setup, but not so much to compare between projects with
> very different setups.

Jiang, I agree with Thierry that your report is a great start and that
it would be useful to exclude from the cloudstack-dev mailing list patch
and review request emails. Those numbers significantly skew the analysis
from a mailing list threads/mails/users sense.

One other thing I'd mention is that although you focus on the marketing
and community-focused impacts in your conclusion for why certain
projects have seemed to gain traction versus others, I would add that
the choice of underlying technology -- and likewise the project
contributor's choice to be agnostic or ideological regarding certain
infrastructure pieces -- may be just as big a contributing factor to the
growth of the developer community of each project.

Keep up the great work,
-jay