[Openstack] How do I stop image-create from using /tmp?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 19:35:02 UTC 2012

On 06/30/2012 09:25 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
>> So, maybe setting any of this environment variables for nova-compute
>> to desired value sholuld help.
>
> Yeah, I was expecting that.
>
> Given that this could easily take out a compute host I'd like to see
> it get an explicit configuration value (or default to instance_dir, I
> guess).

Yeah, this is a well known issue, and various solutions were proposed a
while back:

https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg08764.html

What we ended up doing in TryStack was an awful hack: we essentially
just did an "ln -s /some/dir/with/space /tmp" and that does solve the
problem, though not in a particularly gradeful way.

I would also love to see a config option added that would control the
directory that nova-compute uses for building snapshots...

> If I can sort out the corporate contributor agreement stuff I may try
> to submit a patch...

Hop onto IRC Freenode.net #openstack or #openstack-dev if you need any
assistance. People are happy to help.

Best,
-jay