[Openstack] Nova and asynchronous instance launching

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 18:06:52 UTC 2012

On 06/29/2012 01:50 PM, David Kranz wrote:
> An assumption is being made here that the "user" and "cloud provider"
> are unrelated. But I think there are many projects under development
> where a cloud-based service is being provided on top of an OpenStack
> infrastructure. In that use case, the direct user of OpenStack APIs and
> the "cloud provider" may be the same entity. It would be really nice if
> when an application fires up an instance that enters the error state,
> there was an api that could get the reason why it failed with as much
> information as the OpenStack code that set the instance state to ERROR had.
>
> If we are concerned that such information is sensitive and a public
> provider might not want to give it all to users, this could be an
> admin-only API. There are many
> variations of how the information is controlled.

Yeah, I think this is an excellent suggestion. To be clear, I responded
earlier about adding more debug log statements to nova-network and
nova-compute -- but I wasn't suggesting that as a user-facing solution
to incident tracking :) I was only suggesting that more granular debug
messages in logs can assist the operator.

Best,
-jay