[Openstack] Exception AssertionError message in nova log caused by eventlet 0.9.16 / ubuntu 12.04

unicell unicell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 15:46:37 UTC 2012

Hi, All

Recently I came across many AssertionError messages in nova log as follows

> Exception AssertionError: AssertionError() in <module 'threading' from '/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.pyc'> ignored

After some investigation, it turned out to be introduced by eventlet
0.9.16-1ubuntu4 which is the default version in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Based on the information from Ubuntu package changelog (
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-eventlet/+changelog ), it
seems to be some portion of Johannes's eventlet memory leak fixing
patch was backported to this version. While other monkey patch change
was left out, applying following patches could fix the issue.

Although this message may not relates to OpenStack itself, thought
someone in this list may take interest. Just FYI. Thanks.

> changeset:   1863:6603e234fc56
> user:        Johannes Erdfelt <johannes at erdfelt.com>
> date:        Fri Mar 02 18:09:41 2012 +0000
> summary:     Make sure _after_fork gets patched too so forks don't print spurious

> changeset:   1865:f3fd4562f347
> user:        Johannes Erdfelt <johannes at erdfelt.com>
> date:        Sun Mar 18 14:38:27 2012 -0700
> summary:     Ensure threading._shutdown gets patched too

Best Regards,
--
unicell