[Openstack] Libvirt File Injection

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at managedit.ie
Tue Jan 31 13:59:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Soren Hansen <soren at linux2go.dk> wrote:

> 2012/1/30 Dan Prince <princepd at alumni.jmu.edu>:
> If getting those files injected isn't critical to getting the machine up
> and running, you can use one of the many other ways to get data into
> your instances. If the API calls says to inject a file, and we know that
> failed, we should bail out. I certainly wouldn't want to pay for
> something that isn't going to work.

Completely agreed - If I ask nova to do something for me as an end user, I
expect it either to be completed in its entirety or not at all.

If we just log and error and move on, end users can no longer rely on that
file injection having completed successfully. Say a user has an image that
uses the injected file to determine the correct server role
and provision itself, they now need to to something equivalent to "wait for
the instance to boot, ssh in, and check the file exists".

Kiall