[Openstack] Libvirt File Injection

Brian Waldon brian.waldon at rackspace.com
Mon Jan 30 18:05:19 UTC 2012

After implementing a working version of file injection on Libvirt, a good question was brought up on the merge prop: how should we handle a file injection failure? Injection could fail for several reasons: missing necessary libraries, unsupported image formats and bad permissions are just a few. There seem to be two clear paths forward:

1) Log an error, set the instance to ERROR, add an asynchronous fault to the instance in the db
2) Log a warning, move on with the boot process

It's not obvious which of these is the best route to take from a user's point of view. I'm currently leaning towards option 1 as I wouldn't want to have an instance come up (and be billed for it) while it wasn't what I explicitly requested.

I would love to get some help with this problem. You can either reply directly to this email, or head over to the merge prop: https://review.openstack.org/#change,3526

Brian Waldon