[Openstack] [Nova] Essex dead wood cutting

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sun Jan 29 19:17:06 UTC 2012

On 01/29/2012 12:04 PM, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> That includes Citrix XenServer, Red Hat RHEL and RHEV, Oracle VM,
> Novell SLES, and VMware ESX.
>
> Basically the answer is that you need a commercial hypervisor
> (because SVVP certification takes weeks to do, and months up front to
> get the drivers and hypervisor perfect).

Given the fact that XCP is derived from XenServer, and that both use the
same hypervisor, would XCP in Debian (eg: Kronos) be included in the
"commercial hypervisor" definition above?

On 01/29/2012 11:22 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> Does anyone have writing resources we could request an assist from to
> write up the XenServer instructions on the docs.openstack.org site in
> time for the Essex release?
> I'd prefer to start with a writeup for XenServer rather than
> XCP but would of course work with you on the vision here. This task
> looks like a great opportunity to improve the docs.

As part of my Debian packaging work on both Openstack and XCP, I'm
writing README.Debian on how to setup everything.

Unfortunately, what I had to work with didn't have enough feature to
support Openstack + XCP, but I've been told that this has been now
fixed, over the last few weeks. So as soon as git.debian.org works again
(sic!...) I'll be able to restart a session to get the latest version of
XCP from Citrix packaged in Debian, then hopefully networking and
console will both work, and I'll be able to finish my README.Debian.

Note that currently, we already have in Debian:
- nova-xcp-plugins
- nova-xcp-network

which are both needed to be installed in the XCP dom0. I've also sent
patches to be able to choose the toolstack with debconf (eg: xm vs xl),
and another patch to *not* start xend if xl is chosen.

Once that is done (eg: latest version of XCP from Mike and Jon at
Citrix), and tested, you'll be more than welcome to pickup info from
there. I'll point you where to find the files.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)