[Openstack] [Scaling][Orchestration] Zone changes. WAS: [Question #185840]: Multi-Zone finally working on ESSEX but cant "nova list" (KeyError: 'uuid') + doubts

Alejandro Comisario alejandro.comisario at mercadolibre.com
Thu Jan 26 17:49:57 UTC 2012

This is getting really interesting !!
I really hope to see the new Zones code merged into Essex, since we are
really planning a production implementation on Essex, as soon as it is
marked as a release ( nova, keystone, glance & swift, wich also we got
it working on a big lab environment with Milestone 2 )
As the expectation, because we mainly use Cactus into production and
because of the network layer we inherit, today we are using 1 zone per
VLAN (thats about 16 hosts of 96GB of RAM each, enough to fill the VLAN
with the flavors we use), so yes, the limitation here is the networking.

Thats why we are testing Essex with Quantum, cause we really want to
increase the capacity of a zone ( +50 hosts ) by assigning a/several
network/s to a project on any zone, and the new MultiZone code, to be
able to spread the instances across datacenters (and inside the
datacenter also at the same time), we are thinking also (maybe this out
of the scope of the subject) that the parent zone might be an instance
with no compute nodes but with all the zones loaded into the db, and
many nova-api spawning on different ports, being load balanced at the
same time just to handle the request for the cloud management.

Just to add a little of our metrics if it helps.

PS: Is the plan to commit the new Zones code into Milestone 3 ? that
would be fantastic news !

Cheers !