[Openstack] Swift Container Name Restrictions

Matthew Wodrich matthew.wodrich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:22:25 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to write some scripts to work with Swift containers, but I don't
actually know what the restrictions on container names are.  Does anyone
know what the specification is, or where I can read up on it?

For example:
What are the length requirements for container names? (Maximum/Minimum
numbers of characters?)
Starting character requirements?
Allowable character sets?
Disallowed characters?
Disallowed patterns? (things like .., .-, -., --, ip address-like things,
etc.)
Anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide, even if it's just a link
to a document I somehow missed,
Matt Wodrich